So on the eve on the 4th of July we (Peace Corps Trainees) and some current volunteers nearby got together for a nice lunch and mañana deportiva, or basically soccer tournament to celebrate. I am soo sore, but it was fun! It was great, but a bit of a tease, to eat some good ol´potato salad and cole slaw...oh well! Also, fyi, playing soccer is PAINFUL at this altitude!
Last week our training class was split into 2 groups, and my half went to a small town called Carabuela for a little cultural trip. First thing I learned, the indigenous peoples here (one of the many groups) are not Quechua, but Kichwa, and I got to learn a little bit of their language. We had little workshops all day about weaving, etc., and I broke down like a tourist and bought one of those cute little woven hats that you always see people wearing. The meals were interesting...guinea pig is not a word I ever really wanted or needed to learn in Spanish, but ¨cuy¨is definitely a specialty here and they served it out to us...I couldnt bring myself to eat it though! Especially after seeing a cage full of them...I just felt too guilty! One day...Maybe. The sleeping arrangements were quite awful, to be completely honest, but we live at the level of the people we serve, so I was on a wood plank with a straw mat. I guess the good thing about it was that I was up at the crack of dawn the next day. The main lesson learned was that I should´ve bought a sleeping bag before coming here (they are RIDICULOUS here) so mom´s already on that one!! Speaking of waking up early, I dont know what it is about being here, but I sleep SOOO much. I am up everyday between 5:45 and 6 and by 9, 10 if its a late night, passed out! Its the farm life I think, once it gets dark we all just go to our rooms, and there isnt´t much to do. I usually read a little bit (I just finished my last book though if you want to send me some!) and end up falling asleep so early!
Things are also good with my host family. The food is definitely getting better, once my family figured out that it was actually cheaper to not buy me meat they have been pretty awesome. They dont have a very diversified diet here, so when I said I love any and all vegetables, I got a plate of steamed brocoli/green beans/something else for breakfast ...lol. I would kill for some cinnamon toast crunch, but they dont have that here nor can I drink the milk. It´s really sweet though that they are trying to figure out what I will eat, so I didnt say anything when I had caulifour soup for breakfast.I just know I am so lucky that I am not getting potato soup for three meals a day! They really were confused when I told them that in America we don´t eat soup for breakfast...or rice and meat. I still can´t ever finish the food they give me. One amazing thing, beyond the cheap produce, is the delicious fresh juice my madre makes everynight--yum! And the variety of fruits are overwhelming and exciting at the same time!
Also, the formerly hour long walk to training everyday has been perfected to 40 minutes now! We are learning lots of useful things; the other day I made a homemade disinfectant, lots of training about purifying water, food, etc., and also organic gardening! There should really be this kind of training in America for just life, some of the little survival tips are really useful and interesting!
We find out in 2 weeks where our sites are, so I am crossing my fingers for warmth!! ...and a beach would be nice too! Things are going a lot better here, I am getting to know people in my community better and having a lot more fun! Tomorrow we are having a little pot-luck (sans rice and potatoes!) in our small little community to indulge a little bit. Wine is not really cheap here (Seriously, the same Chilean wine in the US is like double here, go figure) but I had to indulge. Happy fourth of July to you guys back stateside!
Also, thanks to certain people for texts about news in America-definitely makes my day! Feel free to call me in the evening...And any packages need to be less than 4 pounds, and after August 19th I will have a different address, so dont send anything within 2 weeks of that...I really don´t need anything though, so save it for 6 months from now! Miss everyone from home! :)
Friday, July 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm putting 'Eat Cuy' down as top priority for my visit. If you haven't cracked by then, you're doing it with me.
ReplyDeleteCan I send you Cinnamon Toast Crunch?! Any other American food requests?!
ReplyDelete